Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It's the little things!

Really it is the little things that matter.  A smile, a certain laugh, saying, "I love you!" and much more. Recently I was reminded of this and continue to be as I spend time with good friends and family. We lost a vibrant, most outgoing friend to cancer just about a month ago today.  During the three years she battled cancer Byron and I kept a realistic view about her life as well as our own. We have had wonderful opportunities to be there for this family through multiple quick transitions and are amazed at how well our friend and his two daughters continue to astonish us with their strong sense of family, life, flexibility, and appreciation for the little things.


A little note saying, "I love you!" was neatly placed on a coffee table. I noticed it while looking after Ty at our friends house.  On this little card were these words written in red ink above a cartoon caption glued to the paper. Below the cartoon were the words, "Love Jules!" That was her way. Always taking the time to write little notes, send a card for even the most mundane reason, and sharing how much she truly appreciated something.  I pointed to it and looked at Byron saying, "It's the little things that matter!" We smiled.  


This note though not written to me nor Byron, but to her husband, reinforced in myself that not matter how insignificant you might think an action is, it really matters. It was comforting to us. Those are the things you miss the most when they are gone.  As we all grow older and start our own families those little insignificant events provide meaning to our lives and fill our lives with love, memories and laughter. Saying a prayer before going to sleep, tickling each other, saying, "I miss you" and even sending a text message once in a while saying, "I am thinking about you" or a pic message with a caption.  Those little things come in many forms of communication. A painting from your son, a hug, reading a book, a routine, and little tiny something just because.  


Despite the hard times or change that we all may face at one time or another these little things help us get through them.  I stand in awe of those whom I have known to pass on and the massive impact they have had on my world. I stand in awe of those whom have remained after loosing someone and continue to impact my world in wonderful ways, providing me with new insights into my own life, time for reflection, and the ability to continue to do those little things!


Live, Love, Laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment