Thursday, March 29, 2012

Popular, Witches, and A Date!

Popular.... I want to be pop..u..lar! (A song clip from the Broadway Show WICKED!) 


My husband and I recently attended a Sunday showing of Wicked at the Keller Auditorium in Portland, Oregon. I cannot tell you how excited I was to take in a show. This is a treat for me. One, because the tickets were a gift from my father to me for Christmas. AND.. Two, because it was our first date without kids since the recent birth of our second son! I guess there is a third reason, and that is that I am a sucker for Broadway musicals, children stories, and the arts.

I have been impressed with my husband as most men do not enjoy musicals on the big screen or on television but there is something different about seeing a Broadway show live! The last show we attended was The Fiddler on the Roof with Topol's retirement from the show. What a wonderful special treat. We were moved to tears, laughed with them and walked away from that last and final show feeling a sense of pride for the actors.

A few years back my husband and I were in Chicago, IL and were hopeful to take in a show at the time it was the first release of Wicked.  We didn't know much about the show itself but new it was getting rave reviews and what better place to see it then in a BIGGER city than where we are from.  Though New York, NY would have been even better Chicago was where we were.  Unfortunately at that time we were not able to attend because the show was SOLD OUT! Now almost 9 years later we were able to attend, (thanks Dad).

My mom and brother came to the house to take care of the boys (thank you Mom and Uncle Mike), and we headed up to Portland. We stopped at McCormick and Schmidt's for lunch and a drink and were able to see the many marathon runners who participated in the Shamrock run pass by the window.  We watched as the hail poured out of the sky, then the rain and then a small break in the nasty weather. It was enjoyable.  A few blocks away was the Keller and once we were finished with our lunch we headed towards a parking structure.

Love it, the crowds of people, the kids who were dressed up in costumes (their mothers obviously spent a lot of time getting them ready), the lines at the souvenir booths and the excitement in the air.  WICKED here we come.  We entered, handed our tickets and made way to the bathrooms, and then our seats.  It was perfect we were on the isle, had a great view of the stage and had easy access to the exit if needed.  I wanted to take pictures but because Wicked it copyrighted we were not able to even snap photos in the theater.  I was jealous of those who did and didn't get caught but I am a rule follower and respect copyright laws so I sat there and the best I did was snap a few photos of my playbill and ticket.

What a story. What fabulous singing. I loved how this story tied so nicely to the Wizard of Oz. It provided background knowledge and provided a deeper appreciation of characters than what I had had before.  Oh I could see Wicked again and again! I even caught Byron laughing a time or two.  I would recommend this show to anyone and everyone.  It was a great first date without kiddos, though Ty might have loved it if he were a few years older and had understood the Wizard of Oz.  I can't wait to share that story with him soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment