Monday, April 23, 2012

Vegetables...

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Last years herb garden & cucumbers (2011) (Nikon D90)

 Yesterday I spent some much needed time in my raised beds prepping the garden soil for this years crop. I am fortunate I have two raised beds that I have been able to plant a garden in for the second time since we purchased our home.  I took full advantage of the 80 degree weather, spent some time with my son and our garden tools!
Last year's planted peas (2011) (Nikon D90)

My son is super handy when it comes to using a hoe, shovel, and was so excited to dig in the dirt. I couldn't help but to smile. We even found a carrot from last years crop hiding in the soil. We worked up one bed and began planting the started plants I purchased earlier that day.  Last year I planted seeds, and started plants. This year I put my garden in later than last and decided to be a bit easier on myself.

Last years crop (2011) Camera phone


Lettuce (2011)  Camera phone
We planted the following vegetables:

  • Broccoli
  • Corn
  • Lettuce (Italian mix)
  • Cucumber
  • Lemon Cucumber
  • Snap Peas
  • Beans (green)
  • Roma Tomatoes
I may go ahead and plant some carrots too (by seed). I also already have my herb garden that includes Rosemary, Basil, and Mint. Of course the chive garden is separate and it is full of chives for sure. I swear I can't keep a handle on that garden.  Anyone have any tricks or ideas about what to do with Chives?


#photoadayApril Day 23

Today's photo for #photoadayApril is vegetables. Because my garden isn't completely grown and I don't have any of my own crop to show you I snapped this photo.

Vegetables in my fridge! (Nikon D90)

We always have vegetables in our refrigerator. Carrots, celery, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, butternut squash and  more.  They all are coming in handy when making baby food for my Little number 2 as well as being there to snack on for Little number 1.  We make sure to eat our veggies daily and are promoting that with our two boys.

More on how our garden is doing throughout the year! Can't wait fresh veggies are wonderful and you can't get more organic than planting them and growing them yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment